Sunday, September 4, 2016

Time to Go Back to School

Hi everyone. There's a new theme over at Art Journal Journey. Its Back to School, hosted by Elizabeth of Bleubeard and Elizabeth. I think its a really fun theme, and today I have a journal page all about back to school for you.
So my take on this theme is from the perspective of a teacher. Last week I started my 33rd year of being a high school biology teacher, so back to school for me  meant meeting my new students. I have 67 students in 3 classes right now, mostly sophomores in high school.  So I made some paper dolls using Stampotique's Daniel Torrente stamps. I dressed them up in their new back to school clothes, and then mounted them on my prepared background in my journal. I think these kids definitely look like high school kids, and although I have mostly girls on my page (mainly because those are stamps I own), I actually have a few more boys than girls in my classes.
I am also linking up to Try It On Tuesday where they also have the theme of children. 
I am loving the fact though that this is the Labor Day holiday weekend and I don't have to go to work this Monday morning. Its a nice way to ease into the new school year.
Hope everyone else is having  great start to the new week. 
Thanks for stopping by my blog.

18 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I think it's wonderful that you have created your page from that of a teacher. It makes it unique, and it is also very American, since Labor Day and Labour Day are only celebrated in No America. These students have definitely put on their best clothes to meet their new classmates.

Thanks, too, for explaining about the cows. I was SO glad we had similar concerns. It's amazing how much alike we think on so many things.

BTW, I want to use your sewing machine. Mine does NONE of those fancy adorable stitches.

Valerie-Jael said...

Looks like they are all in for a fun time at school, wonderful page! Hope they don't make too many problems for the teacher....Thanks for joining us at AJJ, and it would fit to the challenge at TIOT, too!? Hugs, Valerie

Sadie´sGedankenfülle said...

This page is so cool,
your creativity is magnificent.
A nice week.
Sadie

froebelsternchen said...

An amazing page-- makes me smile! Yes todays teenies are strange - really strange -
I think every teenie generation is this...lol!
We were for sure strange as well at those times...hihi!!

I knew that theme would be your theme!
Thank you for joining us again dear Erika!
Happy new week ahead and enjoy your free Monday!
oxo Susi

froebelsternchen said...

An I forgot to mention how super the new header is! Love it!

Meggymay said...

Love those girls you have in your class, each one looks quite a gal.
Its a fabulous page and great background.
Enjoy your Monday at home.
Yvonne xx

pearshapedcrafting said...

What a fabulous page - I remember those new class days well - although my classes were year 9 Special Needs kids - and I usually knew them quite well anyway with it being a small school! I love how you have used these stamps! Have a good week! Chrisx

Gibby Frogett said...

oooh utterly brilliant Erika - what a fab idea and I love those quirky kids - can't stop smiling at them :)
Learning lots of different things from this challenge - although I had look up 'Sophomore'.
Enjoy your day.... Gill xx

Rita said...

Fall has never quit being a time of new beginnings for you! I hope you have an excellent year. :)

pearshapedcrafting said...

Popped back to say Thank you for joining us at Try It On Tuesday! Chrisx

Margik said...

A super page Erika! What a fun student dolls, I also love those Daniel Torrente stamps. Thank you for joining us at Try It On Tuesday! Mar xx

sirkkis said...

Oooh they are all characters of different types Some are adorable som fun but all very excited looking. Well done!

sirkkis said...

And thank you for joining us at TioT ❤
Sirkka

froebelsternchen said...

Thank you for joining TIOT Erika!
And also ♥♥♥ thank you for offering to send those crazy nice girls to me...
but you know I have a teenie monster in reality here..that's enough I guess...HIHI!!

oxo
Susi

Hope your first school day after the long weekend went well!

Lula said...

Thanks bunches for sharing your brilliant page with us at TIOT! Great take on our theme ,,children".

Jeanie said...

How fun seeing your teacher's perspective in your dolls! Very clever idea and well done for the challenge!

Mrs.B said...

A fabulous page Erika, love the 'kids' so cool.
Thanks for sharing with us at TioT
Avril xx

genie said...

Another wonderful piece about school. Love all the children you have in it. So creative. I really like your work. genie