Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Its a Jurassic Kind of Day

Maybe not exactly my best piece of art, but I had fun making this page. A journey back in time, so I am linking up to Art Journal Journey with a theme of journeys this month.
Last week I heard a story on the radio how scientists were off the coast of Mexico drilling into the crater that formed when a meteor crashed into the Earth 65 million years ago.  This was the event that sent the Earth into an unnatural winter and lead to more 50% of all life going extinct, including the dinosaurs. I had already started working on this page, but I just had to add the meteor after hearing this.
They said the scientists had drilled down to the burnt layer, when the meteor hit, and they were hoping to find lots of fossils and evidence from this event.
They also said it was one of the worst days in Earth's history.
I based my meteor on one I saw many years ago. The one I saw wasn't very big at all, but it did have a little fiery streak behind it.
I think my little T rex looks more cute than fierce. :)  He may look unnaturally small but he is in the background. And maybe because he is kind of cute he could be a baby. I guess I should have made both dinos bigger. One thing I did find was that it was hard to get these guys to scale with just trees for a background. I wanted to leave branches for the pterodactyls.
I found these 3 little rubber pterodactyls in a children's section of a store, and they were my inspiration for this page.

So I finished reading one of my Viking books.

At first it was hard to get into this book because it focused so much on the Icelandic Sagas. Not that I don't like the Saga stories,  but to me it was kind of a treatise on bits of them. However, once I realized the author added that to set the stage for the rest of the story, I really got into this book. I didn't know so much about the Vikings and Iceland (Greenland and North America too). In fact they caused a lot of habitat destruction from over grazing of farm animals ( and I can't image how those animals looked riding along in a Viking ship). The books also talks about their Icelandic homes, woman's clothing, weaving (which was a large source of money brought in during trading), their conversion to Christianity and also a wonderful dose of archaeology to boot.  As I get older, I find archaeology fascinating.
Now I have moved onto the last book of a trilogy with vampires, witches and werewolves.
This just came out last week and its a fun enjoyable read. After this I have another Viking book by the same author on my nightstand plus a book about Cornwall too.
Think I have babbled enough today.
Thanks for stopping by and make it a good day!


7 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Love your fun painting, must have been a scary time with dinosaurs and meteors! Thanks for making such an imaginative piece for AJJ. And I love the sound of the second book. Have a great day, hugs, Valerie

froebelsternchen said...

Your painting is fabulous Erika - The meteor makes it just dynamic! Your ideas are more than creative!
Hope your week goes well so far. Here it is kind of cold again - I think this year will be the same as last year.. 3 days spring - 6 days summer - the rest just rain.... grrrr.
oxo Susi

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Babble away, Erika. I love back stories and why you were inspired to create this page. You made me smile with your lovely painting. I could never ever paint or draw like that, even if my life depended on it.

You asked about my background. Both the background and the inserts I wrote on were created using three to four colors of cheap acrylic craft paint spread on the page using a faux gift card. It's my very favorite background technique.

Yes, it's been a few bumpy days weather wise. At least I was able to get my yard mowed during the drying-out lull, or I would have needed a hay baler to get it under control. It already looks like I didn't mow it last Friday because it needs it again.

Off to see the elephants today. I'm SO excited! Have a super day.

sheila 77 said...

I always enjoy your blogposts with so much of interest.
It's always good to see what others are reading, The Charlaine Harris sounds very interesting and I'm wondering what your book about Cornwall is. I absolutely adore your T-rexes, I think they must be mother and baby and your pterodactyls on the trees are just right at that size. It's such a fun page, and I hope this meteor is only passing harmlessly by.

NatureFootstep said...

a journey back in time. :) Like the image :)

Meggymay said...

Its a fantastic journal page with the cute little dinosaur. I have enjoyed my visit and reading this post.
Yvonne

~*~Patty S said...

Having fun is what it's all about isn't it!
Your page is great and does tell a story.
Interesting and totally fascinating what scientists can discover and uncover and more!
oxo