Thursday, February 4, 2016

My Travel Journal is All Set

This weekend I finished up my travel journal for my upcoming trip at the end of the month. 
Thought I would show you the "finished" book. 
Its a mixture of painted pages, plain tags, envelopes as well as other scrapbook and office supplies.
Of course won't be finished until I complete it while traveling and once I get back home.
But a few pages need a bit of artsy ephemera that I won't be lugging with me. This dapper gent is my inner cover. The black star is actually only an image stamped in silver on black paper and then cut out. 

You can see my pages vary in size, shape, design, etc.
I did find this vintage postcard on eBay and liked it so much I bought it and already added it to the book. The woman reminds me of my mom when she was a young woman.

There are lots of places to write, doodle and glue things down.

I've also added little pockets and envelopes. I love to be able to include little "souvenirs" I picked up along the way. I also love to find those free travel brochures because I chop them up to help record my journey.



 I assembled the book using a plain cardboard cover, one of those Tim Holtz 2 ring binder pieces you can buy, and lots of aluminum tape you get at a hardware store. I haven't used this tape for awhile but it was really fun to use it again.
The first 2 posts about producing my journal are here Making a Travel Journal Part 1  and here Making a Travel Journal Part 2.

Thanks for visiting!

8 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

This is a wonderful journal Erika, I think you will have a lot of fun filling it when you are travelling, what a great idea! Have a lovely day, hugs, Valerie

~*~Patty S said...

Oh what a wonderful journal Erika and you haven't even left for The Land of Enchantment :-)
I have a wee collection of the flaming he♥rts (their name escapes me at the moment...it's early here in Va)
Chili Ristras and the magical colors of NM.
I am excited for you!!!
AND the perfect quote too!
oxo

froebelsternchen said...

Wow .. that is a super journal Erika... you have prepaired it perfectly ... it will come super handy on the trip!
oxo Susi

Nancy Chan said...

Erika, you are very creative and this is a pretty journal.

Anonymous said...

Lots of good spots for tucking in goodness from the trip. Love the textured cover, that is gorgeous. What a joy it will be to FILL up. xox

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

This is incredible. I love it even more than the scrappy journals I make. It is going to serve you well on your travels. I was just thinking about that tape yesterday, and how I should get it out and use it. Great minds and all!!

You asked about leaving the paper backing on the faux rust. My first thought was "I'm not sure how or why it works," but then I gave it some thought and realized I PROBABLY ironed the front side of the webbing (the side where I originally added the paint), but POSSIBLY the paint seeped through to the backing and pooled there. When I removed the backing the first time, I noticed the backing had a lot of paint on it, but when I left the backing on and ironed the webbing with the backing, there was practically NO paint left on the backing when I removed it afterward. All I can truthfully say though, is, it makes great faux rust when you leave the backing on until after you iron it, and it is dull and wimpy when you remove the backing before ironing. Sorry I'm not more helpful with an explanation.

Christine said...

beautiful work Erika!

Unknown said...

A magical journal for a magical time in your life. Beautifully done. I secretly WANT it! Sorry I have not been around -- life is busy in San Miguel - getting ready for the big move to Canada. Have not forgotten you!! Thanks so much for visiting my blog. Enjoy your comments. Hugs, Donna