Thursday, December 27, 2012

Best Books

Time to do a rewind and go through the books I read last year to pick my top reads. I LOVE doing this because it also lets me (during my review) to see what I read in the past year.
I can tell it wasn't a huge reading year for me-I think I read 1/3 of the books I usually do. Here's the books that topped my reading list though.
So here we go.
Pleasure Reading
The Brutal Telling: A Chief Inspector Gamache Novel (Armand Gamache Mysteries)

A Trick of the Light: A Chief Inspector Gamache Novel (Chief Inspector Gamache Novels)
Love this author and her mysteries set in 3 Pines, Quebec

A Discovery of Witches: A Novel (All Souls Trilogy)

Adored this and the sequel listed below. Can't wait for book 3 coming in 2013.

Deadlocked (Sookie Stackhouse, Book 12)
Not the best book in this series, but the ending was fantastic. Can't wait for May until the next book is released.

I liked this autobiography a lot. I think because it wasn't linear. Decided I have a hard time reading linear books.

These books are always fun and I read 2 last summer. This was the best of the 2. A good laugh.
Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter
A surprisingly fun read.


Shadow of Night: A Novel (All Souls Trilogy)

The Orphanmaster
Really good mystery fiction.

11/22/63: A Novel
I think my number one recommend for  last year. A superb book. Memorable. Stays with you. Wow!
The 19th Wife: A Novel
Surprisingly good.


Dearie: The Remarkable Life of Julia Child
Kind of too linear for me-I have yet to complete it. But it is well written and I love Julia Child. What a life this woman had.

Arts and Crafts-
I only bought a few art books last year.
I did reread a few that I had.
After awhile they seem to say the same thing and don't really speak to you the same way.
Not that I didn't pick up some good ones, just not a lot of great ones.
And I certainly found a few ideas in them even if I didn't find much to knock my socks off, as the cliche says.
You can see, I was back into knitting.
Knitting Socks from Around the World: 25 Patterns in a Variety of Styles and Techniques
Favorite Mittens
Traditional Scandinavian Knitting (Dover Knitting, Crochet, Tatting, Lace)

Knitting with The Color Guys: Inspiration, Ideas, and Projects from the Kaffe Fassett Studio
Oh yeah-this book I really liked.

Connecting Design to Stitch
A really well done book-especially if you're like me- in love with textile arts but not trained formally in design and layout.

Illustrated Books

Very fun AND informative

Le Road Trip: A Traveler's Journal of Love and France
I love a good travel book and this is a great one.

Cookbooks
Another area I cut back on. 
Martha's American Food: A Celebration of Our Nation's Most Treasured Dishes, from Coast to Coast
This book isn't really unique but it is a great assortment of regional American dishes. Martha always puts together a nice book.

Jeni's Splendid Ice Creams at Home
Oh yes, fabulous and original ice creams. I highly recommend this if you like to make an occasional pint or quart.

So one of my goals for next year is to try to read more. It has been a goal for the end of this year too and I have been working on that. I just need to remind myself to read-been so many other exciting things going on in my life.
So we're having a nor'easter today.
Speaking of a good day to sit in and read.
Will be curious to see how much snow we end up with-
now that winter is here to stay I guess.
A good day to stay in and try to knock this never ending head cold-
I am ready for some healthy vacation time.
Back with more tomorrow.
Have a great Thursday and thanks for dropping by.

No comments: