Monday, October 26, 2009

International food tasting


Thanks to the website http://gfvegheads.wordpress.com/2009/08/26/off-beat-gluten-free-snacks-red-bean-cakes/ for this photo above and for some info. I have an Indonesian girl at school and I have been able to try all kinds of interesting food this quarter. Today she brought me the snack at the bottom-DAIFUKU- or red bean cake.They are a Japanese treat, but I've never tried them. The inside it a sweet red bean paste and the green covering is a stretchy chewy rice covering. I liked it a lot, but it was very different from anything I've ever had. These are another tasty treat she brought in called Martabak manis-yummy- check out this website http://www.melroseflowers.com/mkic/indo_recipes/desserts/sweet_thick_crepes.htm for a recipe. These are a little more in my realm of sweets since they are more cake life, but still they use coconut milk and they're yummy. It fun to try these foods, makes me feel so much more international. Plus its interesting you can have a sweet treat made from veggies and is still healthy. Interesting concept to my westernized mind.

No comments: